All over the world, there are perfect tropical paradises within the reach of beach-seeking travelers. Many destinations are well known - and just as many are well off the beaten path. Discover a place which may be your next dream destination, or learn about others which may have been beyond your realm of imagination...

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Cook Islands

If you want to go somewhere exotic and a bit different, explore the exquisite untouched beauty of the French Polynesian Cook Islands. With history dating back to 800AD, the first settlers on the island were part of the great Polynesian migration. Located in the South Pacific, these 15 islands offer a traveler peace and quiet and really exciting culture.

As you can see in the picture, the Cook Islands house their visitors in tiny bungalows suspended over the sea, and there are no high-rise hotels in sight which makes the island a very interesting place to stay for adventurous tourists. Each of the 15 islands offers something special, and lack the usual clichés associated with the South Seas. Rarotonga, the capital of the Cook Islands, has two main roads: one leads to the beaches and villages, and the other winds through fields of bananas, taro and pawpaw. The island of Manihiki is famous for a deep lagoon which is farmed for cultured black pearls. Atiu is famous for its bird population, and supports one of the largest colonies of red-tailed tropic birds. Pukapuka is another interesting island, and what sets it apart from the rest is a substantially different dialect, a special island craft of fantastic woven mats, and passion for Kirikiti (the game of cricket of Samoan origin).

The Cook Islands are extremely culture rich. Cook Islanders are considered among the finest Polynesian singers and dancers and awards come often in international contests. The island language, Maori, has 14 consonants which have many similarities to English. Natives are also avid sports players and fans, and while on the islands a visitor can attend many sporting events and competitions. Examples include the Tumutevarovaro Games, which include competitions in rugby, netball, soccer and volleyball, or the Rarotonga International Triathlon which attracts participants from all over the world.

In all, there is a lot to do as a tourist on any one of the Cook Islands, and one can be sure that the vacation will be slightly out of the ordinary. But do not think that the islands are not accessible from this part of the world – both Air New Zealand and Pacific Blue fly passengers to the islands quite frequently. To conduct a little more research about the islands and perhaps put it on your wish list, check out Cook Islands Tourism.

12 Comments:

Blogger popovich said...

You're driving me crazy with all of these gorgeous pictures!! I'd give anything to be lounging in a bungalow in the Cook Islands right now...especially with this cold weather setting in. The Cook Islands are definitely on my wish list now!! I can just imagine waking up in the morning and wandering down the stairs for a quick dip in that crystal clear water. I've seen white sand and clear water once in my life and it was the most amazing sight ever! Any destination with beautiful beaches is definitely worth a trip! I guess I'm going to need to start saving up for all of these trips I never knew I wanted to go on!!

4:14 PM, October 10, 2005

 
Blogger LauraL said...

Yet again, another vacation destination that I wish I could experience. The Cook Islands sound amazing, I've always wanted to go to the South Pacific. The tiny bungalows and the islands setting are the definition of paradise. I love how the bungalows are positioned on the water and there are no ugly high rises to disrupt the island's natural experience. It is the perfect place to relax and getaway from a hectic city lifestyle. The native culture sounds interesting too. I'm sure they offer some great entertainment for vacationers due to their singing and dancing talents. I just hope my job after graduation pays me enough and offers enough vacation time for me to experience these amazing destinations.

5:08 PM, October 12, 2005

 
Blogger Sandy Chen said...

These locations that you write about are amazing! My dream honeymoon is actually going to either Fiji or the Polynesian islands because I want to vacation in a bungalow! I would love to wake up and walk outside to see the ocean right under me. It's beyond my imagination and I really hope I get married to go visit one of these awesome locations. When I went to Hawaii, they had a lot of polynesian culture there. The dances, the food, and everything Polynesian was amazing and so interesting!

7:58 PM, October 13, 2005

 
Blogger Stefanie said...

It amazes me how every week you put up a different paradise location that I have never even heard of before! These islands sound like heaven! I really like the fact that there are only bungalows and not high rise hotels. It would be amazing if all you had to do was walk down a set of steps and be laying in the water!
Because there aren't hotels that can accommodate a lot of people, do these bungalows get filled up really quickly? How far in advance do you need to book a trip? I like how there are a lot of activities that tourists can participate in, and most of them are different from what we are used to doing on vacation.

4:45 PM, October 14, 2005

 
Blogger Kristin said...

Have you ever seen the movie South Pacific? I am pretty sure they mention the Cook Islands. The picture looks exactly like the movie too. I remember watching it and always wanting to go wherever it is they were. That picture you posted is beautiful. I want to leave tomorrow. You give a lot of interesting information about The Cook Islands. It seems that the people are what give it such a culture rich feel. Hopefully someday I will make it there. I know my mom was considering a vacation to the islands, but it was a little out of her price range.

11:22 PM, October 24, 2005

 
Anonymous Asian said...

heyy tornick...oddly enough i found ur blog site. I saw this post and I recently recieved an email from my cousin with all of the pics from inside those resort hotel/room

4:55 PM, October 30, 2005

 
Blogger JoAnn said...

The Cook Islands look gorgeous- and I have definitely seen them in pictures before because I remember the bungalos. I've even seen pictures of the insides and some of them are made of a glass bottom- so you are literally walking on a piece of glass with the ocean beneath you and can see everything- from the fish and plants to the sand and rocks. This reminds me of a calm and serene place to be which would be the perfect place in my opinion to go on a Honeymoon. However, I'm sure it is pretty expensive to go to and you would probably have to book a while in advance to actually get a bungalo.

11:34 AM, November 01, 2005

 
Blogger nguyen said...

I saw this type of hotel in Thailand. It is very similar to that. Great place for vacation!!! Definitely I will come there. I love the bungalows are located on the water, so romantic...

11:22 AM, November 12, 2005

 
Blogger wildwestlax said...

The cook Islands look awesome. I have always wanted to travel to Australia, New Zealand and well basically the entire south pacific. It's pictures like the one you posted that really excite me about the area. Just that white, white sand mixed with crystal clear blue water. It would be nice to wake up and look out your window and instead of powerlines and the unusual smell of Newark wake up to sun, ocean and sand. Also I like the idea of having no one around and two roads. It would be tough to get lost on an island with only two roads. The rugby would be awesome to see too. The NewZealand all blacks, Australia and that whole area is such high quality rugby. Place would be nice to have a look at in person

12:35 AM, November 18, 2005

 
Blogger Mike said...

I once stayed in bungalows like those described. They where so cool because you could open up a little door in the floor a feew the exotic fish that swam beneath you. If ever you get a chance to do this I definitly recommend it. The privacy is great and you can just relax. These vacations are a little pricy but definitly worth the experience. I want to go back just thinking about it. I need to stop reading your blog before I plan a trip and blow all my money.

6:36 PM, November 21, 2005

 
Anonymous Jess G. said...

Sharon, I love you! Awesome site! So when do u wanna go? We should plan a trip to these crazy islands! They look so amazing!
Great Job!! <3

10:41 AM, November 22, 2005

 
Anonymous Term Papers said...

These posts keep getting better and better keep sharing..!

2:04 AM, December 21, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home