All over the world, there are perfect tropical paradises within the reach of beach-seeking travelers. Many destinations are well known - and just as many are well off the beaten path. Discover a place which may be your next dream destination, or learn about others which may have been beyond your realm of imagination...

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Santorini

Santorini, one of the Greek Isles, is the number one vacation destination in Europe and the number two island destination worldwide. No surprise there, as Santorini boasts beautiful beaches and architecture, a rich ancient history, volcanoes and hot springs, and wonderful bright, sunny weather from April to October. Located on the Aegean Sea, about 63 miles north of Crete, Santorini can be reached from most international airports via Athens (with a flying time of approximately 40 minutes).

Besides catching a few rays, there is a lot for a culture-seeking tourist to do and see on the island. The ancient city of Akrotiri is called the prehistoric Pompeii of the Aegean, and is the most important archaeological site on the island. There is also an archeological museum in Fira, the island’s capital, which displays many works of art which represent the island’s rich culture and history. There are also many wineries to visit, and tourists can attend wine tastings featuring Santorini’s exquisite wines from the island’s famed vineyards.

Beach-goers can expect unique scenery and surroundings by the sea. Santorini’s beaches have white, black, or red sand, and are scattered with blank shining pebbles. These breathtaking beaches are incredibly exotic and posses an unusual tropical beauty. Perissa and Perivolos are the island’s most famous beaches, and together they form the longest black sanded beach on the island. Hotels and restaurants tend to line the beaches, and tourists can expect most beaches to offer lounge chairs, umbrellas and water sport activities.

It has been said that the sunsets in Santorini are the best in the world. I, for one have definitely put Santorini on my list of future vacation destinations, and I cannot wait to check out a sunset. For more information, feel free to check out www.santorini.net.

12 Comments:

Blogger popovich said...

White, red, and black sand beaches!! I never dreamt of them because I didn't know they existed! But now I want to see them...they must be beautiful. Santorini sounds like an amazing place to visit. Although I love the beach it sounds like Santorini has something for everyone. This really sounds like the perfect romantic get away...now I just need someone to go with...HA HA HA! I can't even imagine watching the gorgeous sunset that you described while sitting on a red sand beach...just thinking about it is breath taking! How affordable is a trip to Santorini? How about hotels when you get there? It sounds like a great place and I am definitely adding it to my list of travel destinations!

12:08 AM, October 04, 2005

 
Blogger Kristin said...

This place sounds absolutely amazing. It would nice to see a beach that doesn’t have trash on it and is not highly populated. My roommate has a very deep Greek backround, she even has family that she visits over there. She has been all kinds of places, and the number one place she always talks about is Greece. She raves about how beautiful it is, and how pretty the beaches are. She says that you just can’t get that experience from somewhere else, and I believe her. I would love to go to Santorini. It sounds amazing.

12:43 PM, October 04, 2005

 
Blogger LauraL said...

Santorini sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I've heard Greece is amazing. My best friend went to Korfu late year and said I had to go there. I'm a sucker for a great beach and the Mediteranean is beautiful. The only beach I went to in Europe was in Italy on the Adriatic Sea, but it was full of algae and it was a little yucky. The blue waters of the Mediterranean and Santorini's beaches sound breathetaking. I want to go on a cruise of the Mediterranean and visit parts of Greece and Croatia. I've heard Croatia is another eastern European country that is a must-see place to visit. I'm sure Greece is still a somewhat affordable place to visit and I hope to go there sometime soon.

3:14 PM, October 05, 2005

 
Blogger Sandy Chen said...

Wow Sharon. This place sounds amazing! I have always heard that the Greek Islands are a must to go to, but reading about Santorini just makes me want to go even more. As everybody else said, I am definitely adding Greece to my places to visit. I just love how the buildings are all white with the sea right below it. I would love to see a black sand or red sand beach because I have never seen them! Hawaii had a black sand beach but I didn't have the oppurtunity to go. I wonder how much the flight is and all the hotel prices. I can't wait to check this place out in the future!

4:15 PM, October 05, 2005

 
Blogger Sharon Tornick said...

Sounds like everyone is very interested in traveling to Greece! A couple of you were wondering how expensive it is to travel to Santorini, and I've done some research to find out. It seems as though from Newark, NJ to Athens, Greece, a roundtrip ticket costs approximately $1200. From there, you can take a connecting flight directly to Santorini, or you can first travel to Crete and then take a ferry to Santorini and almost all of the other Cycladic islands. If it were up to me, I think it's more worth it to take a cruise of the Greek Isles, and then you get to see many parts of Greece and don't need to worry about connecting flights and ferries. The trip is not cheap, but I think the beauty and culture Greece has to offer makes the money well worth it.

12:15 PM, October 10, 2005

 
Blogger Stefanie said...

This place sounds fantastic! I have heard so many great things about Greece and it is definitely somewhere I want to travel to. What I really like about the picture is that it shows how there is the water and the mountains in the back. We are so used to going to beaches in the U.S. that we never think about how nice it would be to be sitting on the beach with the mountains in view also. I spent last winter in Costa Rica and a bunch of the beaches that we visited had really nice views of the mountains. This is something that I enjoyed very much while I was there and hopefully I will enjoy in Santorini whenever I get the chance to visit! Also, I'm interested in seeing the different colors of sand. I saw black sand while in Costa Rica, but I have yet to see red!

4:35 PM, October 14, 2005

 
Blogger nguyen said...

Well, it is very great place for honeymoon, isn't it? I love to hear that there has white, red, and black sand beaches. I have never seen that red and black sand beaches before.... I want to see them so badly. Sunset, I saw a lot when i was back home (cause I lived near the beach). But I wanna see what is different..

11:09 AM, November 12, 2005

 
Blogger wildwestlax said...

Santorini is somewhere I'm not so sure I would want to go. I know its pretty and a hotspot for tourists, but my parents went their this year as part of a cruise of Italy and Greece. They said that the town wasn't as beautiful as the hype made it out to be and that the Carribean gives you much more bang for your buck. I'm not trying to be a complete downer though as they did say that pulling into the town was something to see. They said that the white wash building sitting on the mountain over looking the deep blue sea was something special. Then again they're old and that architecture thing really doesn't commit me to spend money. I want an experience in nature and beauty and have something active to do once there. Not sure if this destination does it for me.

6:53 PM, November 16, 2005

 
Blogger KphmQzTh said...

Hi love the blog............want to swap links?

3:07 AM, January 22, 2006

 
Blogger Eddie said...

Hi there, I was surfing the internet and I found your blog. I like the way how this all works. I'll come by again.

Many thanks,

how to sell a timeshare

6:01 AM, March 23, 2006

 
Anonymous adult vacations said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my adult vacations site.
Have a good day!

8:54 PM, July 12, 2006

 
Anonymous adult entertainment in las vegas said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my adult entertainment in las vegas site.
Have a great day!

4:58 AM, July 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home