All over the world, there are perfect tropical paradises within the reach of beach-seeking travelers. Many destinations are well known - and just as many are well off the beaten path. Discover a place which may be your next dream destination, or learn about others which may have been beyond your realm of imagination...

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Fernando de Noronha Archipelago

As per request, this week’s post is featuring a South American destination which is called Fernando de Noronha Archipelago. The 21 islands, which were formed by the mountain peaks of a volcanic cordillera, are off the coast of Brazil approximately 4 degrees from the equator! The main island, Fernando de Noronha, is the only island which is inhabited - by only 2,100 people. All of the others, the “secondaries,” are mainly frequented by scientists and troubadours.

The islands are absolutely gorgeous, as you can see in the pictures. The beaches and scenery are so breathtaking that I think this may be my favorite destination so far. The western side of Fernando de Noronha faces Brazil, and borders the “inside sea.” The inside sea is home to 10 beaches and two bays. The other side faces the “outside sea,” hosting four beaches, a creek, and shallow natural swimming pools formed by rocks.

There are more than 60 different places to stay (hotels and lodging houses), which is very surprising considering the small population of the island. The lodging is whimsically classified on the island’s official website as 1, 2, or 3 dolphins (3 being the highest rated). The archipelago’s tourism department also helps plan tours and activities for its visitors, including diving trips, surfing the tubular waves, kayak guided tours, and hikes – particularly in the National Marine Reserve of Fernando de Noronha, (tourists can only be accompanied by accredited guides, as the purposes of the Reserve are to strictly protect and preserve the fauna, flora and the remaining natural resources). But best of all, there are boat tours which are organized by local companies, and are one of the greatest ways to fully take advantage of some of the most beautiful parts of the archipelago.

I can say personally that I have fallen in love with this destination. I had never heard of it until I started researching, and it is certainly well off the beaten path. If you are interested in learning more and seeing some exquisite pictures, visit the official website.

12 Comments:

Blogger popovich said...

You had me at the picture! I can't even imagine waking up in a place like that every day. I am so jealous of the people who get to call these places home. Although I'm sure they lose some of their appeal if you call it home. I can't believe that Fernando de Noronha Archipelago is such a commercialized place with such a small population. I guess tourism is a big source of income for them though.

I would love to visit this island. The volcanoes and scenery is just gorgeous!! I visited the website and saw even more gorgeous pictures! If I had the money I'd leave today. The surfing sounds amazing! I've surfed before, not very well, but I love it. I can stand up, but that's about it. Usually just fall over after that. Maybe some lessons on the island would do me good.

Thanks for all the amazing vacation ideas. Now I just need to find an amazing job after graduation that pays a ton of money so I can go visit all of these places!

2:21 PM, November 13, 2005

 
Blogger Jenna B. said...

The first picture of the island reminds me of the scenery in the television show “Lost.” They shoot in Hawaii, but the beach where they stay looks just like the first picture in your post. It would be so great to wake up every morning with a spectacular view like that. The second picture reminds me of Seventeen Mile Drive in California. The road travels for seventeen miles along the coast and around several famous golf courses, magnificent houses, and resorts. It looks so beautiful there and the scenery looking out into the water looks as breathtaking as the photo here. All along the drive there are lookouts where you can pull over to the side of the road and just look in awe at the awesome views.

7:44 PM, November 13, 2005

 
Anonymous island mahe seychelles said...

hello Sharon Tornick !

Thank you for your post on Fernando de Noronha Archipelago. I was actually looking for info on hotel inclusive seychelles.
By the way there is also one site that i would like to share on hotel inclusive seychelles hotel inclusive seychelles

Thanks again
Jim

1:58 AM, November 14, 2005

 
Blogger Stefanie said...

Before even reading your post I knew I would like this place just from the picture. I think it is really cool that the islands were formed by the mountain peaks of a volcanic cordillera. I am also shocked that there are so many hotels on such a small island, especially since there are not that many that live on the island. Do you know anything about the prices of the hotel? Is this a very high priced area to travel?
If I ever got a chance to go here I would definitely take one of the local boat tours to see the beautiful parts of the archipelago because I feel that if I am traveling that far I want to get the most out of my trip!

10:58 PM, November 14, 2005

 
Blogger LauraL said...

Thanks for fulfilling my request and writing a blog about a South American location. I've always wanted to visit South America, especially Brazil or Argentina. My boyfriend might be going on a Rugby tour in the spring to Argentina and I am soo jealous. After hearing about his possible trip, I became more interested in the continent. Fernando de Noronha Archipelago sounds like a fabulous place and the picture is breathetaking. I'm surprised their are so many hotels on such a small inhabited island, hopefully that doesn't take away from its natural beauty. The scenary is absolutely fabulous, I definitely have to start saving soon. My next big vacation will with a doubt be to Brazil. Thanks for the insightful information yet again!

2:55 PM, November 16, 2005

 
Blogger nguyen said...

Do you know how often is the volcano being active? I would love to visit this island. I hope the volcanoes are not dangerous. I haven't seen any actual active volcanoes. I guess it is great to look at it ( in term of not dangerous) ... Thanks for your ideas of vacation...

12:21 AM, November 18, 2005

 
Blogger Sharon Tornick said...

Although the Fernando de Noronha Archipelago was formed by volcanoes, today they are all inactive. Therefore, visitors can hike to the peaks without any risk of danger. Not to worry!

2:46 PM, November 21, 2005

 
Blogger Mike said...

These places are paradise. South America looks outstanding. I definitly want to visit some of these places. It is crazy how there are so many hotels on the small island, but then again a place like that can make alot of money with tourism. I have only seen one volcano in my life. This place looks like a great place to explore and to take in the views at the same time. Man why cant Delaware look like that? Great job on your blog! Are you going to maintain it after the semester is over?

4:08 PM, November 21, 2005

 
Blogger Kristin said...

It is interesting to learn that the main island, Fernando de Noronha, is the only island which is inhabited people. It is weird to think so much space is still not inhibited by people. The water in the pictures look absolutely breath taking. I love to look at water, and that seems to be a beautiful sight. It seems like this will be a destination that you will look in to taking. I visited the website and saw some more pictures and this destination definily has my attention. I have never been anywhere in South America, so hopefully I will get there one day.

6:48 PM, November 22, 2005

 
Blogger Shawn T Lippert said...

Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Tauck Tours Resources with vacation ideas, and information if you or your readers are interested.Guided Tours and Vacations

7:08 AM, January 28, 2006

 
Blogger Omar Cruz said...

I like this blog is fantastic, is really good written. Congratulation. Do you want to see something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: beach real estate, condo, condos for sale. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com

3:20 PM, January 18, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Just returned here to remind you about Mobile Monopoly. This is a great technique and WILL make you money, especially seeing as you own a website. Take a quick look at their video, the system is about using Mobile Advertising which is fresh and an unexposed market where you can make thousands by doing hardly any work. I promise you that after you watch their short video it will change you and it will start making you think. http://mobile-mastermind.com

10:56 AM, January 07, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home